Cardbox forum system help > User profile
If you register as a user then the forum system stores a small amount of information about you, to make the system work and (optionally) to give other users some idea of who you are.
To change your user profile, log in and then select the User Profile link from any of the forum or topic pages.
- Your password
- Choose a password that you don't use for other things - at least, not for anything important such as a bank account. This is always good practice and it is particularly important when, as with the forum system, the link between your computer and the remote web server is not encrypted.
- Your email address
- The forum system uses this address for sending email alerts, if you request them, and for sending you a temporary password if you forget your real one. The email address is kept private unless you make it public as part of your public profile.
- Your name
- This name is optional: the forum system uses it when it sends you emails. It is kept private unless you make it public as part of your public profile.
- Making your email address public
- Turn on this option if you want visitors to these forums to be able to see your email address. Leave it turned off if you want your email address to be kept private.
- Making your name public
- Turn on this option if you want visitors to these forums to be able to see your name. Leave it turned off if you want your name to be kept private.
- Your web page
- If you have a personal web page (or a blog/weblog) and you want visitors to these forums to be able to find it, then put its address in your user profile.
- Descriptive text
- You can put anything you like in this box or leave it blank: whatever you enter will be visible to forum visitors as part of your user profile.